Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Vientiane and Vang Vieng (Photos)

Greetings from Laos

I'm currently in Luang Prabang in northern Laos but nothing of note has happened here yet so let me tell you about the past few days.

We travelled overnight to Vientiane, the capital of Laos (If your geography isn't up to scratch) The main tourist attraction is this thing




I can't remember the name off the top of my head but it certainly is an impressively gold structure. We only spent one night here and then travelled up to Vang Vieng which has some beautiful scenery.



See what i mean! We chilled out here for 3 nights and spent 1 afternoon tubing (think floating down a river in the inner tube of a tractor) and the next day kayaking and looking at caves. The town was very backpackery with certain menu items designed with alternative types in mind, here's an example. (guess what the O stands for???)



We've spent the past few days travelling with a wicked austrian guy called imo, i'll see if i can find a picture of him somewhere, a very handsome man to be sure.




Tony requested more pictures and i have a few from the past few weeks which haven't made it on here yet so here they are, keep commenting!

Rocket boat in Cambodia



National museum in Phnom Penh



And now some photos from the Angkor temple complex, first up Bayon



Ta Prohm



Angkor Wat

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi the photos are great ash you still look as stylish as ever. weather is freezing here so enjoy the sunshine. hope steve is ok hope it doesn't mess up too many of his plans. if you need any thing steve you know where we are.

Tuesday, 22 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the way Suze looks nice and tanned but then there's Ash who looks like a sun burnt British tourist. Well, at least you have had good weather, I reiterate, it's bloody freezing over here at the moment. Like the photos, keep them coming.

Tuesday, 22 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superb, always love to see a picture. Letting loose on a bit of rubber down the river sonds like great fun.

I've been reading ole Matty's blog too. Glad to hear you've got some jap teaching sorted, nice one.

For those who are worried, I'm still walking, slowly. Getting used to the idea of not going to America now (rather disapointed about that one, but I gather I'll get to go next year). I have a check up at the hospital on Monday, I guess they'll let me know then how big of a problem I've got. It seems the severity can vary quite a lot in the long run.

Oh, and despite earlier protests by Mat, you can just puncture a lung for no good reason. The condition is even called 'Spontaneous Pneumothorax'. I'm told though that the cold weather can make it more likely to happen. So given that, I more than anyone wish it wasn't bloody freezing here.

-- Bendy

Tuesday, 22 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bendy, I appologise for my previous comment, but having no medical knowledge at all it's not surprising that I didn't know about 'Spontaneous Pneumothorax' (and yes I did copy/paste that).

I take heart in the fact that you still find it possible to read and write stuff on the web. At least your fingers are still working properly...

Ash, it's good to see that you're taking a good mix of scenic and classic tourist photos. All those hours taking pictures of candles seems to have paid off with a slightly artistic eye...

Tuesday, 22 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With limited medical knowledge I must point out that a spontaneous pneumothorax is is a relitavely common condition affecting young, tall, thin men! Causes reduced air entry (obviously as you've collapsed a lung) and requires treatment by a chest drain! This needs to stay in place for 24 hours after air has finished coming out which can lead to a reasonablr time in hospital (1 weekish). Spot the loser working on a chest ward!!!!

Ash, the pictures look great, weather much better than here. Not jelous at all!!! Glad you're having a good time. Keep the pictures coming to further fuel my envy!

Take it easy

James.

Thursday, 24 November, 2005  
Blogger Ash said...

Hey guys, i'm feeling your pain about the weather, in northern Laos and Thailand i actually had to put some trousers on the other night, crazy! The picture of suze and i at Angkor was taken when it was about 35c.

I don't really understand the negative comments about my style, i learnt from the best eh mum?

I forgot to say congrats to matt on getting the japanese position, hopefully i can come out and visit, i'm already planning my next trip to Japan, hopefully for a month or two next time, i want to do the whole country.

Well i'll do an update on northern thailand once something has happened and i have some nice photos, i'm thinking elephants are on the agenda!

Friday, 25 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm still like that Tom!

Saturday, 26 November, 2005  
Blogger Ash said...

Me too, i bought my degree...

Monday, 28 November, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home